I am an IT manager with 15+ years of system design, team management, and system architecture experience. I’m also a Microsoft certified web developer and database administrator with a strong hand-on background in web and application design, coding, documentation, and support models. Over a decade of Windows stack experience including the latest IIS, Windows Server, and SQL Server. I’ve been published twice and have been previously DIACAP certified for confidential government work and have experience working in highly regulated environments such as HIPPA, FERPA, and GLBA-compliant departments.
Leadership and Architecture Skills
- IT Management, Project Management, Software Development Life Cycle
- Technical Writing, Application System Architecture, Backup and Availability Tools, System Monitoring and Alerts
- Risk Analysis, Security Implementation Planning, Contingency Planning
- Data Modeling, Process Modeling, User Interface Design, Bug tracing
- Use Case Point Estimation, RFP Response, Technical Consulting
- Platforms: Amazon AWS including S3, EC2, and CloudWatch, Microsoft IIS 6/7/8+, Apache, MacOS X, Windows Server, Some Linux and exposure to Solaris.
- Security and networking: Active Directory, ADAM, LDAP, F5 Big-IP Networking Appliance, Windows Advanced Firewall, Trustwave’s Web Application Firewall, DB Network’s SQL Firewall
- Database: MS SQL Server including SSRS; SSAS; SSIS; and SQL Agent, MySQL, MS Access, Oracle.
- Development Tools: Visual Studio, .Net Core, Eclipse, XCode. SharePoint, Flash, Crystal Reports
Coding Languages and Tools
- Version control: SVN, Git, TFS-VC, Visual Source Safe, CVS, Vault
- Business Intelligence: OLAP design, Tabular and Multidimensional SSAS cubes, Report Design, Integration Services and custom cube population scripts
- Team Foundation Server, MS System Center Operations Manager, MS Visio, MS Project. Banner, Jira, Trello, BMC Remedy, Hudson Continuous Integration, CruiseControl.NET, Axosoft OnTime
Associate Director, IT, UC Davis: Financial Aid and Scholarships - Davis, CA; 1/2017 - present
- Serving over 26,000 students I managed the IT unit for the department including supervision of developers, system administrators, and business analysts.
- Served as the software development manager and application architect to develop/manage/operate and maintain a complex financial aid enterprise system and a series of integrated web applications. Using ASP.Net, Oracle, and Team Services
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, provided leadership, management and IT expertise to all Financial Aid and Scholarships staff. Coordinated with other departments as a member of the enrollment leadership team, the IT Security Committee, and the IT Services Committee.
- Financial Aid tools includes Banner, Campus Logic, AcademicWorks, and Automic.
Systems Architect, Veterinary Information Network – Davis, CA; 5/2013-12/2016
- Led system design, documentation, and process development for a team of a dozen developers.
- Researched, recommended, prototyped, and documented network, application, and database-level solutions.
- Sr Level Application Development included: Solr search with DIH population, OLAP Cube design, custom implementation of a web-based WYSIWYG content management system, drag and drop jQuery interfaces, custom AJAX handlers, ASP.Net Web Forms + MVC, and other applications.
Senior Development Team Manager, Cognizant Technology – Rancho Cordova, CA; 2012-2013
- Led development on web and related applications for a government healthcare provider. Estimated, documented, and planned new features and changes in coordination with the QA testing team and the business. Managed onsite and offshore development efforts.
- Coordinated application support for web applications and support services including scheduled jobs and automated processes. Effort included bug tracing, system profiling, communication and coordination with outside software vendors, change management, logging, and maintenance.
- Department of Defense Information Assurance Certification and Accreditation Process (DIACAP) certified in a Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) compliant environment.
- .NET 4+, including Web Forms / MVC and SQL Server with Crystal Report Server.
Director of Software Development, Sierra Data Systems – Auburn, CA; 2005-2012
- Architected, designed, developed, and maintained DATArrive, a modular software-as-a-service application that combines mobile and web-based users into a unified data structure. In an Agile development environment, I directed a team of developers, QA testers, and project managers.
- Secondary responsibilities included building and maintaining Sierra Data Systems corporate websites and other web-based applications as well as product documentation, project estimating and scheduling, and technical research.
- Special projects: creating complex web service interfaces including basic authentication, WCF, and certificate signing, file based importing and exporting tools, SQL code optimization, code vulnerability analysis, credit card and subscription processing through Authorize.net, mobile application development using Xamarin
Web Master / Technical Specialist, Prima Games / Random House, Inc. – Roseville, CA; 1999-2005
- Responsibilities included site design, development, architecture, and management, and managing a small team of content producers. Secondary responsibilities included site maintenance, search engine submission and optimization, customer management, and general technical support.
Technical Book Reviewer, Prima-Tech / Prima Communications, Inc. – Roseville, CA; 2000-2002
- Titles reviewed include: Web Site Analysis and Reporting, Macromedia Flash 5 Design: From Concept to Creation, Dreamweaver UltraDev 4 Fast & Easy Web Development.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
- Data Management and Analytics, Achievement Date : 08/10/2017
Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD)
- App Builder, Achievement Date : 09/26/2016
- Web Applications, Achievement Date : 07/05/2016
Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)
- SQL Server 2012/2014, Achievement Date : 07/27/2016
Dynamic Web Forms Professional Projects, Premier Press (2002): Indianapolis, IN. ISBN: 1-9318-4113-6
Create Macromedia Flash Movies In a Weekend, Prima-Tech (2001): Roseville, CA. ISBN: 0-7615-2866-0
- This step-by-step guide helps the reader learn the basics of Flash to create simple movies.
OPEN SOURCE CONTRIBUTIONS
B.S., Information Technology, 2005
- University of Phoenix, Roseville, CA; 2002-2005
M.S., Information Technology, (In Progress)
- California State University, Fullerton, Fullerton, CA; 2017+